Saturday, May 24, 2014

VC Rocks First Blog Hop of the Year!

Woo Hoo!  Today has been a great (and busy) day!  Last day of school with the kiddos is always crazy and I also needed to make sure I had all my creations ready to go for my first blog hop in quite awhile.  We are featuring tools or embellishments that we love in this blog hop and I sure do love my Envelope Punch Board and Simply Scored Scoring Tool!!

Back in March I saw this adorable concertina card created by Julie Kettlewell a demonstrator from England and I've been enamored with it ever since.  I finally had time to make one for my mom for Mother's Day….but I forgot to take a picture!  So for this blog hop I created a special graduation card for my son's girlfriend who is graduating from college this weekend--yay, Kelsey!


The card base is made with one sheet of 12 x 12 designer series paper cut into 3 -- 4 x 12 pieces.  Use the scallop tag topper punch on one end of 2 of the pieces to create the closure for the card and then score each piece at 2.5", 5", 7.5", and 10"  (make sure you don't start scoring on the scallop end).  You'll have a cut the 2" piece off of the piece that does not have a scallop punch on either end.  Glue them together and decorate!  The black cardstock piece is cut at 3.5 x 2 and the whisper white is 1 3/4 x 3 1/4.  Then the hard part…..deciding how to decorate!  Here is a link to the video that Julie created.


You can't tell from here, but my owl has some crystal effects on his glasses--so cute!

When you have such a special card you need to make sure you also have a special envelope!  I created a box envelope specifically for the measurements of my card by using the "Box Buster" on The Crafty Owl's Blog--this tool allows you to put in measurements and it gives you the size of paper and where you will need to score to create the perfect box using the Envelope Punch Board!  Genius!!  I've linked you to the box buster tool here.


Here's a picture of my box envelope with the card closed. 


Want to keep hoppin'?  Check out our complete blog hop here on the VC Rocks Blog!


Supplies List:
Tools - SU Scoring Tool, Envelope Punch Board, Heat Tool
Stamp Sets - Go, Graduate (Retired), Endless Birthday (new photopolymer), Morning Post Alphabet, Pomp and Circumstance, Blue Ribbon
Ink:  Basic Black, Staz-On black, Real Red
Cardstock/DSP - Basic Black, Whisper White,  Real Red, Silver Glimmer paper,  Polka Dot Parade d.s.p., Quatrefancy Specialty paper
Punches - 2.5" circle punch, 2 3/8" scallop circle, 1 3/4" scallop circle, 1 3/8" circle punch, star punch (from the holiday trio punch pack), decorative label punch, banner punch (SAB and new catty), artisan label punch, scallop tag topper punch
Other stuff:  clear embossing powder, versa mark pad, mini brads, crystal effects


17 comments:

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

Dawn, your card is AMAZING! I am anxious to try it! I am sure your son's girlfriend will love it! Enjoy your summer:)

Loni said...

Dawn - That is freaking adorable! What a lucky college grad to be receiving it! My 3 recent college grads (niece and 2 nephews) were lucky just to get a hand stamped box. The box is the bomb too! Thanks for joining our hop!

stampershirley said...

Dawn, just in time ... I need to make grad cards for a couple special people, and this is perfect! Love it, love it! Thanx for sharing

Dawn said...

Thanks all! I did go back and finish the measurements….I guess incomplete sentences are what happens when you finish your post at 2 a.m. Ha!

Maureen (Moe) Buck said...

Your project is SUPER!!!

It's been a couple years since I was able to participate in VC Rocks. I hope to join you this summer!

Brenda said...

Dawn, this card is fantastic. What a great card to give a loved one, friend or someone special. Thanks for sharing all the links.

sherryd said...

Great items you showcased in this blog hop!

Jane Starr said...

Awesome card!

Krafting Karen said...

all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! Wonderful work on all your projects!!!!

Robin Messenheimer / Robin's Craft Room said...

That card is just an amazing project! And so much thought put into it. Love the box for it, too!

Cynthia Ferenz said...

Love this card in a box! TFS!

Tania said...

What a great idea! I love it!

Terri said...

Great projects!

Elizabeth said...

I Looooove this card!! It's fabulous and I think I'll be CASEing it too! Thanks for deciding to make another one to share with us!!

Patrice Herrera said...

Your Graduation card is spectacular! WOW! I know she will just love it and it will be one of those special keepsakes we hold on to for ever. You did a really great job on it! Thanks for sharing it with us!

WhoMom said...

FanTabuLous!!!
I need to make a couple graduation cards and this card is stupendous. Hope you don't mind if I make one just (almost) like it. It's so creative. Thank you for sharing with us.

Elizabeth said...

Absolutely fabulous! What a labor of love!